The Product Development Engineer works within the engineering design group to research, analyze, design and test innovative products and/or improve current products. Identifies and executes testing needed to launch products and works with Sales and Marketing to coordinate and perform commercialization activities for products in a fast paced and growing product development environment.Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Product Development Life Cycle Management:
- Works with a cross functional team from Engineering, Quality, Sales and Marketing to develop and implement a standard commercialization process for new products.
- Develops and updates new product assessment tools in conjunction with marketing to prioritize product development activities.
- Utilizes computational design justification techniques such as FEA, CFD and other computer aided techniques to scrutinize product designs before prints are released to produce prototypes.
- Communicates with established suppliers during the design phase to review product designs for manufacturability.
- Works with legal consultants and Government Patent Officials as required on patent searches, applications and infringements. Acts as the technical expert on all design related materials and provides strategic analysis for intellectual property activities.
- Develops and implements mechanical test protocols according to ASTM, SAE, ISO or other applicable standards and coordinates the activities required to fabricate test parts and complete verification/validation testing.
- Oversees the Engineering testing center ensuring timely completion of testing requests, prioritizes testing queue based on product assessment / corporate need, and makes recommendations for testing capacity improvements.
- Reviews and creates professional quality laboratory testing reports for all testing conducted and establishes / maintains adherence to testing procedures.
Product Launch Process:
- Works with Marketing to develop product launch technical documents, training materials, and technical presentations for customers, engineering, sales and Marketing on the product features and benefits.Technical resource for the organization to support Sales and Engineering during the product launch phase.
- Assists in the development and administration of product selection tools for internal and external customers.
- Maintains Professional & Technical Knowledge
- Attends educational workshops and networking opportunities
- Reviews professional publications
- Must be willing to travel to customer and supplier locations, domestic and international, up to 20% of the time.
Bachelor’s degree in engineering is required. Familiarity with pressure situations and how to handle them in a professional business manner also required.
About this company
ESP International is the one source you can turn to for worldwide resources in engineering, logistics and service. From factory direct sourcing in both domestic and international markets - to engineering expertise that exponentially extends the productivity of in-house capabilities - to unparalleled efficiencies in distribution and vendor managed inventory logistics; ESP International brings you a world of innovative solutions
Location/Region: Cedar Rapids, IA